Note: This post may contain spoilers from The Raven Cycle series.
As another attempt to add to the content created on this blog, I’ve decided to dedicate one of my favourite fictional characters to the month. These posts will probably appear in the middle of each month, giving a few weeks to decide which one I want to talk about, and will include; reasoning for my choice, a little background information, some quotes, and an aesthetics board to accompany the page.
Ronan Lynch | The Raven Cycle
I’ve recently completed The Raven Cycle series, and I’m honestly completely lost without it. After reading the first book, Ronan’s character became an immediate favourite of mine, having fell in love with the hot-headed man and his antics. However, one of the main reasons why I adore Ronan Lynch’s character is how he’s anti-stereotype of the gay literature community within Young Adult literature. Ronan’s character is the complete opposite of those common homosexual characters, being a ‘bad-boy thug’ type, with a lack of conflicted decisions to be in or out of the closet, has no ambitions of joining theatre groups, and isn’t flamboyant in the slightest. He’s a realistic member of the LGBT community, who’s sexuality is not the defining feature of his character, and I love that. Plus, his relationship with Adam Parrish… Need I say more?
Who is Ronan Lynch?
- The Greywaren – someone capable of bringing items from dreams into reality.
- Light skinned, Irish, and is known for wearing five knotted leather bands on his wrist. Has a large, black Celtic knot tattoo across his back, accompanied by multiple images from reoccurring dreams.
- Known as “dangerous” and confrontational, considering he rarely attempts to filter his words.
- Lives with Richard Gansey and Noah Czerny in Monmouth Manufacturing, an old warehouse owned by Gansey.
- Drives his father’s old BMW.
- In a romantic relationship with Adam Parrish, yet not until the final instalment of the series. He considered Adam his ‘second secret’ prior to publicising his feelings, and everything dream-made by him was always accepting of his love-interest; Chainsaw, Opal, Cabeswater.
- After graduation, became a farmer and looks after Opal; a young girl from his dreams.
- According to author, Maggie Stiefvater, he’s a Scorpio.
“I know when I’m awake and when I’m asleep,” Ronan Lynch said.
Adam Parrish, curled over himself in a pair of battered, greasy coveralls, asked, “Do you?”
“Maybe I dreamt you,” he said.
“Thanks for the straight teeth, then,” Adam replied.”
Blue Lily, Lily Blue
“Adam’s response was buried in the sound of the first-story door falling open. Noah slouched in. In a wounded tone, he said, “He threw me out the window!”
Ronan’s voice sang out from behind his closed door: “You’re already dead!”
The Dream Thieves
“Ronan said, “I’m always straight.”
Adam replied, “Oh, man, that’s the biggest lie you’ve ever told.”
The Raven Boys
“To think you could have been dreaming the cure for cancer,” Blue said.
“Look, Sargent,” Ronan retorted, “I was gonna dream you some eye cream last night since clearly modern medicine’s doing jack shit for you, but I nearly had my ass handed to me by a death snake from the fourth circle of dream hell, so you’re welcome.”
Blue was appropriately touched. “Ah, thanks, man.”
“No problem, bro.”
The Raven King
“Ronan pointed at the cart. “Get in there.”
He just continued pointing.
Adam said, “Give me a break. This is a public parking lot.”
“Don’t make this ugly, Parrish.”
As an old lady headed past them, Adam sighed and climbed into the basket of the shopping cart. He drew his knees up so that he would fit. He was full of the knowledge that this was probably going to end in stitches.”
Blue Lily, Lily Blue
2 thoughts on “Character of the Month (January ’18)| Ronan Lynch”