I think this might be the latest I’ve ever published this post, but unfortunately I’ve been too busy to create it.
Plus, procrastination is a curse. No matter, it’s taken a lot of thought into who to dedicate this month’s character to, and with deep consideration I’ve decided to talk about someone who has been a huge part of my life since I was a child.
Evra Von | The Saga of Darren Shan
The Saga of Darren Shan has a very special place in my heart, having been a huge fan since I was a child. I became quickly obsessed with the series, immediately heading out and buying the next instalment the moment I finished the last. Evra Von quickly became my favourite character, finding him the most interesting in the performers at the Cirque.
Evra Von’s character was notorious for being the Snake-Boy of the Cirque, his skin covered in/made of scales, meaning he was continuously being branded as ugly or freakish. However, as the series progressed, Evra matured, adjusting to his appearance and eventually meeting someone who accepted him regardless; a woman named Merla. This progression of his character is one of the reasons why I loved him. Darren was away from the Cirque for a while, meaning Evra’s once child-like character was absent from the series. However, once Darren returned, he discovered a much older Evra, surrounded by a family. This reintroduction almost of Evra was incredible, as his previous shy personality was replaced by security and maturity.
As mentioned, his character was once a more insecure and shy version of himself, which was what first attracted me to Evra Von. Due to an abusive childhood, Evra grew up feeling disgusted by his own appearance, yet with the help of Darren and the Cirque, he gradually accepted himself. This development of his character was deeply important to me as a child, reading as someone who I believed was an incredibly interesting character grow and love themselves and their family was something I could learn from myself. I mean, what’s not to love about Evra Von?
Who is Evra Von?
- Snake boy and member of the Cirque du Freak.
- Darren Shan’s first real friend after becoming a vampire and remained an ally during his life.
- Known as a snake-boy, due to his appearance. His skin was either covered in or made of scales – it’s uncertain which. However, he has a few bald patches after the third book of the series, Tunnels of Blood, after being kidnapped and tortured by Murlough who removed his scales with a blade.
- Evra was born to normal parents, but were horrified by his birth and left him at an orphanage. He was bullied there until he was picked up by a heartless circus owner at the age of four.
- For seven years, he was abused and neglected, kept in a glass tank, and made to feel useless, ugly and freakish. He was rescued by Mr. Tall at the age of eleven, murdering the circus owner.
- Evra remained at the Cirque du Freak for the entirety of his life, meeting another freak named Merla, who he fell in love with and later married. They had three children, named Lilia (a snake-girl), Shancus (a snake-boy, named after Darren) and Urcha (normal).
- His son Shancus, was kidnapped by R.V., then later murdered by Steve. His other children survived the war.
Note: Evra Von is portrayed by Patrick Fugit in Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant.
He pulled his tongue back and grinned. “I’ve got the longest tongue in the world,” he said. “If my nose was big enough, I could poke my tongue all the way to the top, down my throat and back out my mouth again.”
“You couldn’t!” I laughed.
“Probably not,” he giggled. “But it’s still pretty impressive.”
The Vampire’s Assistant
“By the way,” he said, “my name’s Evra Von.” He held out a hand and we shook. His palms felt slippery, but dry. A few of the scales came off and stuck to my hand when I pulled it away. They were like scraps of coloured dead skin.
“Evra Von what?” I asked.
“Just plain Von,” He said, rubbing his stomach.
The Vampire’s Assistant
“Well, anyway,” Evra said, “do you want me to disappear before Debbie arrives?”
“Why?” I asked.
“You might not want me here,” he muttered.
“I might frighten her,” Evra said. “Lots of people get scared when they find themselves face to face with a guy like me. Maybe it would be best if–”
“Listen,” I said firmly. “You’re my best friend, right?”
“Right,” Evra smiled weakly. “But-”
“No!” I snapped. “No ‘buts’. I like Debbie a lot, but if she can’t handle the way you look, too bad.”
“Thanks,” Evra quietly said.
Tunnels of Blood
“You shouldn’t have come,” Evra muttered. “It was stupid.” He paused. “but thanks anyway.” He added.
“Would you have left me?” I asked.
“Yes,” he said, but I knew he was lying.
Tunnels of Blood
3 thoughts on “Character of the Month (August ’18) | Evra Von”
I used to love Evra so much! He was definitely my favourite character in the series.
LikeLiked by 1 person