Note: This post contains spoilers from the Fruits Basket series by Natsuki Takaya.
I’m not a frequent romance reader, so when February comes around I find it very difficult to theme the content of this blog around Valentines. However, after searching through the past year I managed to finally find a suitable character. Last years Valentines character was none other than Tohru Honda, the protagonist of the Fruits Basket series, so it felt only natural for her partner to feature this year. Besides, it’s impossible not to fall in love with him too.
Kyo Sohma | Fruits Basket
Fruits Basket was the series that introduced me to the world of manga at a young age, falling in love pretty easily with the form from that point onward. Kyo Sohma’s character was one of the main reasons for that, being an easy character to love.
Kyo’s character begins full of anger and destruction, continuously breaking the Sohma’s household with his arguments and physical fights. However, as the series progresses the development of his character is highlighted in his demeanour. He’s gentler, more sure of himself and opens up to the people around him. His love for Tohru shines through the pages of the manga, encompassing him and transforms him into a kinder, more understanding character. His love for Tohru heals his wounds and that is simply beautiful to see. For this reason, Kyo deserves a spot in this segment, showing the power of love and inner strength and the capabilities letting someone in has.
Who is Kyo Sohma?
- One of the main protagonists of the Fruits Basket series.
- Cursed by the spirit of the Cat, an animal rejected from the Chinese Zodiac.
- Transforms into the Cat whenever he is embraced by a member of the opposite sex, or when in a state of vulnerability.
- Also, he transforms into the Cat’s true form – a grotesque monster – whenever his Juzu Bead bracelet is removed.
- Also referred to as ‘Kyon-Kyon’ by friends and ‘Stupid Cat’ by Yuki.
- Has dedicated his life to defeating Yuki Sohma, the Rat, in a fight to become “a true member” of the family.
- As his story progresses, Kyo falls in love with Tohru, and finds the courage to keep living despite his misgivings and hardships.
- In Fruits Basket Another, it is revealed that he is married to Tohru and together they have three children.
- Has bright orange hair and a long fringe that hangs over his orange-red eyes.
- Defined more from Yuki Sohma, as he wears loose clothes and dislikes tightness around his neck. (Similarly to how cats dislike their collars)
- Could be described as short-tempered, impulsive and rude, but he also has a soft side that he doesn’t like people seeing.
- Is also quite overprotective towards people he cares about and gets embarrassed quickly. As he develops feelings for Tohru, Kyo is often seen blushing or frantically rephrasing sentences.
- Deeply loves martial arts and has engaged in them since he was a child.
“Maybe I’m not perfect. Maybe I have a long way to go. But someday… someday I’ll be able to stand and walk on my own. Without hurting anyone… and without being a burden.”
[To Tohru] “Be selfish, say what you want once in a while. It’s okay to let yourself be sad.”
[To Tohru] “Ever since you left I’ve been getting pissed off about everything, and because I couldn’t understand why, it just pissed me off even more!”
“The scariest and most painful thing is to be hated by someone you truly love.”
[To Tohru] “You know… you really are something.”