This month, I’ve had quite a lot of trouble with my procrastination for this post, being quite indecisive of who would be the focus character for May. However, I felt it was about time we returned to the video game world, becoming reintroduced to one of my favourite games and loving every second back in its world. So, this month is dedicated to the said game’s protagonist!
Noctis Lucis Caelum | Final Fantasy XV
I’ve had a slight attachment to these characters since I was first introduced to the game after release a few years ago and since then, I’ve become obsessed with them. They’re some of the most interesting and well-developed characters in a video game that I’ve seen in a long time, and I hold them all very close to my heart. Noctis is not an exception to this.
Noctis is a highly intelligent character, yet initially comes across as passive towards most things. He’s the stereotypical teenager, not caring for much and wanting space most of the time. However, beneath all that he’s deeply troubled. Fearing the day he takes over the throne, Noctis’s relationship with his parents suffers and therefore his lifestyle changes. He’s isolated and reluctant and that makes him a deeply interesting character to play as in a game such as this.
Noctis’s personality goes through some changes throughout the game, from being the reluctant teenager, to the confident King and I loved that. At a first glance, he seems like a snarky, stubborn child, but his companions draw out the funnier side to Noctis, and then as time passes, he grows into his duties and becomes the King that Lucis needs. It’s beautiful to see.
Who is Noctis Lucis Caelum?
- The initially sole playable character and main protagonist of Final Fantasy XV.
- Son of King Regis and Queen Aulea.
- Crown Prince and 114th heir to the throne of Lucis, the kingdom with control over the Crystal.
- Wields the power of the Lucian kings, and as the main playable character, he can equip all weapons and can warp by throwing his weapon to move quickly around the field.
- A young man with spiky black hair and blue eyes that can glow red. He wears a black jacket that he leaves unzipped with skull-motif buttons, as is a theme within everyone from Lucis. Underneath, he wears a steel grey shirt with skull prints, black cropped trousers and black buckled boots, along with a black motorcycle glove on his left hand.
- Although, his three companions are not royalty, Noctis treats Prompto, Ignis and Gladiolus as his equals. His upbringing shines through, however, as reflected in his body language, poise and posture in contrast to his team.
- He regularly doses off and appears perpetually bored and uninterested in the things happening around him.
- Having witnessed his father work as king, Noctis respects the position and the dedication needed, but also fears for the time he would assume the throne himself. Near the end of Noctis’s journey, his friends note his increased confidence, and how he has learned to take on the responsibilities of his position
- Is known to be reckless, having to be held back by others, though this does not always stop him.
- He’s playful towards Prompto, his best friend, and is frequently sarcastic and snarky.
- His leisure skill is fishing, which lets the player partake in a mini-game across Lucis and Altissia.
Note: Noctis Lucis Caelum is voiced by Ray Chase in Final Fantasy XV.
Prompto: Stairs they go on, forever they go on, on and on and on.
Noctis: He’s gone.
[In battle] Noctis: Ignis! No, wait, Prompto!
Prompto: Who? Where? What?
King Regis: Do mind your manners around your charming bride-to-be.
Noctis: Your Majesty, as well. Try to mind yours around our esteemed guests from Niflheim.
King Regis: You have no cause for concern.
Noctis: Nor do you.
[In battle] Noctis: That’s how it’s done.
Prompto: Awww yeah, like a boss.
Prompto: It just occurred to me, but this is totally like King’s Knight.
Prompto: There’s four of us, just like in the game!
Noctis: Well, then I gotta be a five-star character.
Gladiolus: Hell no, if anyone here’s a “Rare,” it’s me.