Note: This post contains spoilers from the Fruits Basket series by Natsuki Takaya.
This month has been quite a difficult one to choose a character for. Considering the current circumstances, it’s been pretty slow and uneventful. However, on social media, there has been a trend where you post a photo of yourself alongside an animated character likewise to you. I chose this character.
Kagura Sohma | Fruits Basket
Fruits Basket is a series that has inhabited a small place in my heart since I was a young child, finding it so easy to fall in love with the world and its characters. Kagura Sohma is no exception to this, being a very prominent reoccurring character for me.
Kagura’s character, alike Kyo, begins with destruction and violence, us seeing a side of Kagura that many would find overwhelming. However, personally that simply made me love her character more. She isn’t the stereotypical feminine character, immediately showing force and determination in a unique and devoted way. She adores Kyo, yet the only way she’s able to express that is through her violent urges, highlighting her impulsive and strong-willed side. Nevertheless, Kagura is incredibly sweet, polite and friendly, her aggression simply down to her emotional immaturity rather than malice.
As the story progresses, we learn so much more about Kagura and see her evolve into a more mature young woman as she eventually lets Kyo go and moves on from him. Regardless of her own feelings, she simply wants the best for the one she loves and that’s incredibly admirable to see. This moment proves her love for Kyo in a way that was without anger and violence for the first time in the series. It was an incredibly powerful moment and I adore her for that.
Who is Kagura Sohma?
- A reoccurring character of the Fruits Basket series.
- A second-year student at a private girls’ junior college.
- Cursed by the spirit of the Boar of the Chinese Zodiac. Whenever she is hugged by the opposite sex, or her body goes through a great deal of stress, she transformed into her zodiac form.
- Depicted as a girlish, sweet young woman, which opposes her destructive nature and near-obsessive love towards Kyo Sohma.
- Lives with both of her loving parents, who are fine with her double-edged personality, and her distant relative Isuzu Sohma.
- Good friends with Ritsu Sohma and eventually Tohru Honda.
- A petite young woman of average build and height, with fair skin which is prone to blushing, and large dark brown eyes. She has straight, brown hair which she either leaves down, or ties into braids at each side of her head.
- She almost always carried around her orange-coloured cat backpack, which is her trademark. It is hand-made, and has several more in reserve.
- Is noted to wear cuter clothes than most 20-year-olds because she is baby-faced, she because she thinks she will look too old for Kyo if she dresses more maturely.
- Usually very sweet, polite, and friendly, but she can also be very aggressive, impulsive and extremely violent within a matter of seconds. This is mostly aimed towards Kyo, who is the target of her extremely passionate feelings whenever he is present. However, her behaviour is mainly caused by emotional immaturity.
- She has no sense of personal space and can be very clingy with Kyo, but she is also very affectionate towards other members of the Sohma family.
- Is noted to have a ‘big sister’ like personality.
“I hated myself so much. I felt so insecure. But then I was really happy the day I met you. You made me feel okay about myself. Because I knew that as bad as I had it, my sorrows were nothing compared to the Cat.”
“I’ve made up my mind. Kyo already knows I accept him, not matter what, and no matter what form he’s in. I mean, there isn’t another girl in the whole world who loves him as much as I do, which is why, I know that I can’t help him. Right now, the only one who can help, the only person he needs the most, is Tohru.”
2001 Anime, Episode 25
“What are you telling her for!? If that’s how you really feel, tell him!”
“Kyo-kun, be mine alone. At least until the dawn breaks.”
“My love will not be denied!”
2019 Anime, Episode 4